Ibiza, you have to admit, it still is fun!
The scorpio island has changed so much over the past few years and gotten very busy but it still has the magic that once made it a hippie, bohemien hangout for creatives from all over the world.
So where do we go now? Here are some of my tips & tricks to survive, even with kids! Ibiza is a great destination with friends or as a family vacation.
- Cappuccino in the marina with a great view of the old town
- Can Guimo; small hippie place with homemade breakfast, lunch etc. It is next to the road in San Lorenzo
- Passion Cafe has various restaurants all over the island. The place for healthy juices and great food.
- Croissant Show in the old town for a french breakfast
- Jockey Club only if you are very early
- Aqua Blanca for the best sandwhiches ever
- Es Torrent for excellent service and fresh fish
- Los Enamorados in the North of the island
- Paloma Cafe the lunch in the campo
- Il Giardinetto, Italian food in the Botafoch harbor. Simple but very consistently good Italian food!
- Babylon beach in St. Eulalia
- Cala Bonita at s’Estanyol; new, great staff and food
- La Luna del Orto
- Cicale the other great Italian
- Es Caliu for the meat lover
- Macao in busy St. Gertrudis
- Les Terasses for a special Moroccan or Thai night
Feel like doing something different? Catch the ferry (or rent a boot) to Formentera and rent an old fashioned Mehari or a bike! Lunch options are numerous but make sure to book ahead as some are quite popular. Here are some great places:
- Chezz Gerdi
Don’t forget to try the local drink, hierbas but drink it on the rocks🙂
Being a ‘spicy’ food addict this version of a Sambol (hot spicy sauce) or as the Dutch would call it ‘Sambal’ was a devine surprise to me. At it everyday on my trip in Sri Lanka and had to get the recipe!
It well with just about anything; from my omelet or eggs in the morning to a relish with a cheese sandwich, a roast chicken or a curry of course.
There is something about adding spicy ingredients to your food… Makes you feel alive especially when you need that extra kick, wake-up call or rush:-)
Here is a list of what you need:
- grated fresh (firm) coconut meat
- 1 fresh green or red chili peper
- pinch of salt
- juice of 1 lime
- thinly sliced medium sjalot
- 1 tea spoon of chili powder
- 1 tea spoon of chili flakes
Grate the coconut, slice the sjallot and mix in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients according to taste. I personally like it with alot of lime and chili. Be careful with the quantities, you can always add more later.
Once made promise you it will be finished in no time, otherwise you can keep it a couple of days in the fridge.
For a while this had been on my Bucket list. A country with a rich past, gorgeous beaches and beach taking inland nature.
Our family trip started off in Galle. A cute little town with a rich history of the Portugees, Dutch and English settlers. Now it is being renovated and has numerous cafe’s, boutique hotels, shops and great restaurants.
Here is a short list!
Where to stay:
- Fort Bazaar Hotel
- Galle Fort Hotel
- Mango House
Where to eat:
- Tuk Tuk
- Tuna & Crab
- Poonie’s Kitchen
One more thing, I know Sri Lanka is known for its tea. Not so strange that coffee is not a priority but for me with a slight coffee addiction, it is hard waking up! In Galle, after a little trial and error exercise the Fort Bazaar has my vote!
To do tips:
Go surfing! Just outside of the fort is Devata beach. Grab a tuk tuk to the Shack where you can rent a board, book a lesson and have a bite to eat. Open for breakfast.
Go to the beach and have lunch:
- Wijaya Beach
- WB beachclub
- Talpe Beach Restaurant
If you have more time and want to really get Some waves drive down to Arugam Bay. It is quite a drive (4,5 hours) but well worth it. Book a room at Hideaway and enjoy the laid back surfers paradise.
John Lennon was a wise man with many talents that I could only dream of. Here’s one of his many quotes:
Everything is going to be okay in the end,
If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.
But is this really true? If so all the worrying, sleepless nights etc. are all useless? Can we really trust that things will work out is the end? Yes, of course, looking back it is easy to see why certain things happened and other didn’t. We learn from our mistakes, if we don’t, they will reoccur to until we do. But does the universe, or whatever you want to call it, have a plan for each of us, to make the ‘ends’ meet so to speak?
If we want to live with a bit of peace of mind I guess we have no choice but to have a certain level of trust in things and the course of our lives. Mmmmm probably the hardest thing to do, even harder than going to the gym:-) just sit back, breathe and accept what is.
Amsterdam, my home town… Love this city! With all it’s different neighbourhoods, farmers’ markets, the beautiful canals which never bore you and not to forget dozens of great restaurants. Here’s a little short list with my favorites:
- Toscanini… the famous Italiaan
- George Bistro for the best burger (yep sorry, they won!)
- Gebroeders Hartering for a ‘old Amsterdam’ surrounding and simply amazing food
- Buffet van Odette the not to miss lunch (breakfast, dinner too!)
- Hotel Goudfazant good food in a huge and cool old garage
- Choux near central station is a precious little gem
- Krua Thai for authentic Thai food
- Marius is more intimate yet simple, and not to forget Worst next door
- Restaurant Breda delicate tastes and great decor
- Ku Kitchen’s Asian food and cocktails
- De Klepel always has a great set menu
- Brut de Mer oysters yeah!!!!
- The Seafood Bar for your classic ‘fish dish’
- Sama Cebo the Indonesian oldtimer, get a spot in the brasserie!
More to follow… Enoy!!!
Best tuna salad
The tastes combined in this salad are refreshing and quite different. Super healthy and easy to make.
- Fresh tuna chopped in dices
- watermelon chopped in dices
- lime juice
- spoon of musterd seeds
- bit of virgin olive oil
- thinly sliced cabbage
- green sprouts of any kind
- some cherry tomatoes
- avocado chopped in dices
- a handful of green salad leaves
Start with preparing the dressing. Add olive oil, lime juice, mayonnaise and a tea spoon of wasabi and mix. Then carefully add the rest of the ingredients. Serve immediately and dig in!
They say you always have to look up but sometimes looking down can be just as rewarding!
Remember that thrill you got when you were young doing something for the first time? Logical that as we get older we have ‘done’ most of the regular things. We have grown cultivated as to how to contain the excitement of feeling, seeing, tasting or having something for the first time.
Maybe as we get older and hopefully being a bit more conscious of what it is you are actually doing etc also makes a difference?
Whatever it is you really enjoy, try to ‘do it’ in an other way so you can experience that ‘excitement’ of the first time again? Set yourself goals or save for that trip… They saying that ‘life begins at the end of your comfort zone’ is definately true. Do something that scares you and you will feel your heartbeat going up:-)
Feeling this buzz will make you feel alive like nothing else wil.
Waking up with a glass of water seems like a logical beginning of a regular day. Although coffee might be your first urge, try a glass of water to hydrate after a long night of sleep or whatever you’ve been up to! More and more stories have been published about the benefits of drinking this glass of water before eating or drinking anything else. Not only is it good for your organs and general hydration level of your body but it also has an effect on your skin.
Luke warm water is a lesser shock to your body which is also just waking up. Adding a squize of lemon is easy and gives you a jump start on your vitamine C for the day. If you have time, which you probably don’t, add some honey and cayenne peper for the full kick start.
For the die hards… Start the day with luke warm water and apple cider vinegar. Seriously, I do not know why but I find this sooo disgusting that I can not drink it without holding my nose closed. And even then does it make me want to… nevermind!
The reason lemon juice and apple cider vinegar are good for you is because they are alkaline foods. They help your body to become less acidic. Basically, long story short, inflammation diseases and infections are much more likely to ‘grow’ or occur in an acidic environment. Studies have also shown that even cancer cells grow more rapidly in acidic environments as opposed to alkaline. Might be hard to explain or understand but remember in high school chemistry class those pieces of paper you had to put in a liquid and then read the acidity? PH 5.5 being neutral? That’s exactly what this is… No rocket science:-)